31 October 2009

A Carnival, a Bath, Soup and Pygmies



Firstly, in case you haven't seen it, the best of the British Mummy Bloggers Hallowe'en carnival is being hosted by Hot Cross Mum. Head over there for some parenting horror stories!


In other news the Great Toy Guide just gets bigger and better. We have been testing reusable advent calendars. Those reviews are coming soon. You can now find the GTG on Twitter too.

The Calico household tried some of the Tinti natural bath products, including popping bath candy. You can read my review here.

***

Finally, I mentioned in an earlier post that I had printed out a short story that I had written. I was planning to take it to Word Soup, Preston's live literature night. Well, I took it last week and it stayed in my bag the whole night.

Last night I went to a mini Word Soup event. It was primarily a poetry evening, but other people read prose at the open mic. I plucked up courage during the interval and put my name down for a spot in the second half.

When I was introduced I stood up and made my way to the microphone. I told the audience that this was the first time I had read any of my work in public. I took a deep breath and read my story. Towards the end I struggled to keep my breathing regular. I read the last line and with shaking hands I folded my 750 words. The applause lasted until I sat down.

At the end of the night several people came over to tell me they had enjoyed my story, that they couldn't believe how confidently I read and that I should definitely carry on writing. I was in shock! Complete strangers were so kind and supportive.

I originally called my little story 'Halloween Party', but later changed my mind to 'Playing With Fire'. It is particularly apt for this time of year anyway. I'm delighted to say that it was published today on The Pygmy Giant and you can read it here if you like.








Share/Save/Bookmark

7 comments:

  1. Congratulations on the mini World soup night. I have just read the story and loved it. Well done you

    ReplyDelete
  2. The Mad House, thank you x

    ReplyDelete
  3. As I just said on the Pygmy Giant blog, that's what you get when you play with fire! Thanks for a great read, and look forward to hearing more. Re: reusable Advent calendars. There's a beautiful idea for one made with a linen sheet (much nicer than it sounds!) in Ros Badger and Elspeth Thompson's Homemade Gorgeous Things to Make With Love. Last year, Lakeland did a wooden ark with an animal behind each door, this year they're doing a really sweet wooden train. And Susie Watson Designs has a fabric one with little pockets that I might just have to invest in.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Well done you on your success, well deserved

    ReplyDelete
  5. Go Sandy, Go Sandy! Well done you for plucking up the courage - it's kind of like having another child when you write - you feel so protective about it! I'll head over to the site to have a read. Great news though - delighted for you!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hey...well done, that's amazing. You must be so proud.:0)

    ReplyDelete
  7. Angels and Urchins, thank you so much for taking the trouble to comment on the Pygmy Giant. Re Advent calendars, my SIL made beautiful ones for her children, but I don't have the time or the patience (or a sewing machine)! This year's Lakeland one is gorgeous. I got one from JoJo to review, but was really disappointed.

    b, thank you x

    Hot Cross Mum, thank you. It was so strange seeing my little story out there for all to see!

    Chic Mama, thank you, I was over the moon when I got the email telling me my submission was successful :-)

    ReplyDelete

Blog Widget by LinkWithin