18 July 2013

Weight Loss Coaching - Six Weeks In


Six weeks ago I started a twelve week Weight Loss Coaching programme with Dawn Walton from Think It Change It Cognitive Hypnotherapy and Think Change Become Life Coaching. This is a review. I am not paying for the course, but I am taking as seriously as if I had parted with some cash.

So, how is it going?

My answer will depend on which day you ask me. Some days I would say it's going really well and I feel completely in control. Other days, not so well. Even on a bad day, where my eating seems out of control, I'm still able to write down three positive changes that I've noticed that day.

I have lost eleven pounds since I've been listening daily to my ten minute MP3.

I'm still not cured. I'm still worried I'll always go back to my fall-back position of emotional binge eating.

BUT

The changes I have noticed in my eating habits, in my relationship with food and in my feelings towards exercise are enormous.

I eat loads of fruit and vegetables. I enjoy eating. I no longer feel guilty if I eat a 'bad' food. I am putting less on my plate. When I eat I listen to my body and stop eating as soon as I feel full. Most of the time I save my dinner leftovers for my lunch the next day (I was bought up as a member of the Clean Plate Club and I hate to waste food).

I now walk everywhere. I run up stairs. I don't leave things at the bottom of the stairs to take up later, I run up with them there and then. I can run after my children. I've even shown them how to skip.

I feel great in my clothes. I'm buying smaller sizes, confident that I'll get in them. I'm feeling good about myself, taking care of my skin, painting my nails. I go out and don't worry that people are looking at me, feeling disgusted by my size. I've had my hair cut short because I no longer have a double chin to try to disguise.

I am still struggling with eating mindfully. Some days I can do it, other days I can't. I'm not beating myself up over it. I accept that it is hard and I'm pleased that I manage it some of the time. Eating mindfully is all about connecting your mind and body. You listen to your body, to what it needs. You can eat what you want when you want it, so long as you stop when you have had enough.

When I started eating mindfully I got terribly upset. After years of being told what not to eat, what to eat, when to eat it, you are free to eat anything and I found it unbelievably stressful. I wasn't sure I could do it. I didn't know which way was up for a while. My conscious mind could not cope with this freedom. When Dawn asked me to eat what I wanted for a week, I freaked out, but I tried it and managed it for two days.

I'm still not fully eating mindfully. I'm still going to Slimming World and pretty much following their eating plan. This is causing a conflict, but I don't yet feel confident enough to walk away from regular weigh-ins. I'm worried if I stop going I'll put back on all the weight I have lost, even though I know there is another way.

I expect to talk about this with Dawn the next time we Skype. In between these sessions Dawn is always available via email and she has been incredibly supportive.

Sorry I couldn't be clearer about how it's going. In summary I would say that the Weight Loss Coaching is going brilliantly well, but I don't feel cured yet.


.
Share/Save/Bookmark

12 comments:

  1. Well done Sandy. You are doing amazingly well on doing things that scare the heck out of you initially. 6 weeks is not much time when we are changing a lifetime of habits and connections. I know we'll get there...and one day I will be able to say "I told you so" ;)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. @Dawn, thank you. I may not be where I want to be yet, but I am confident that I'll get there... eventually.

      Delete
  2. Wow, Sandy you're doing brilliantly. Can't wait to see you on Sunday although you may have to tap me on the shoulder if I don't recognise you. You'll recognise me no problem, still fat :(

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. @Jean, I'm not Twiggy yet, by any stretch of the imagination! I can't wait to see you too, it's been far too long x

      Delete
  3. It sounds like you're making steady progress. Those food demons wont be beaten quickly so it's understandable that it's taking time and it's scary. Hang in there. You're doing a fantastic job.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. @Livi, thank you. I do feel confident that I can change permanently, but it is hard work. I'll be worth it though.

      Delete
  4. She is a miracle worker. Like you I'm doing Dawn's course, and I'm finding that whilst the change may be slower, and the weight loss less drastic than it might be if I were to go and starve myself, I'm changing my whole head, not just one little part of it. The changes to my whole life that have happened in the past few weeks are far bigger than the weight loss (which is happening too, but almost feels like a rather nice side effect!).

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. @Rachael, I'm so pleased for you. It is magical and powerful. So much has changed for me that I can hardly keep up with myself, yet I still focus on the evening where I ate all the biscuits... x

      Delete
  5. It sounds like you're doing well, to lose 11lb in 6 weeks is excellent. I remember being told that you don't want to lose weight too fast, that dropping 1-2lb per week is perfect to ensure the weight stays off, and with Dawn helping you to re-program your attitude to food it sounds like this really could be sustainable. Well done!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. @Ruth, keeping it off will be harder than losing it, but I should have the mental skills to cope with it this time :)

      Delete
  6. Gayle Willington18 July 2013 at 22:39

    Well done Sandy. So pleased for you and it doesn't matter how long it takes, it's that you're doing something and are going to get there xxx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. @Gayle, yes, that's exactly it. It will be worth it too xxx

      Delete

Blog Widget by LinkWithin