18 January 2010

Stories and Songs Meme


I've been tagged by the lovely Mum at The Mad House for the equally lovely Fraught Mummy's Stories and Songs Meme.

Music is an enormous part of my life. One of my earliest memories is of playing singles on Mum and Dad's record player. It must have been the Christmas when I was three that I played Wizzard's 'I wish it could be Christmas every day' over and over again. I still love that song, although I'd imagine they were a bit sick of hearing it!

I could never go on Desert Island Discs. I would never be able to list my top ten, there are too many to chose from. There are so many songs that can instantly transport me back to different times in my life.

I find it difficult to listen to the songs we played at my brother's funeral, or my Dad's funeral. Music was important to them too. I want 'Do You Realise?' by The Flaming Lips played at my funeral - it's my favourite song of all time. We had it at our wedding too.

We spent longer choosing the music for our wedding than I spent choosing my dress. We chose songs and music by Elvis Presley, Johnny Cash, The Flaming Lips, Elton John and Albert Ammons. Occasionally I hear the instrumental version of 'Your Song' from the Moulin Rouge soundtrack playing underneath an interview with someone who desperately doesn't want to be voted off some TV show or other. It makes me smile. I walked down the aisle to that music.

'Yes' by McAlmont & Butler is the soundtrack to my twenties. Despite going through some difficult times then, that song always cheered me up. 'My Happiness' by Powderfinger is the song I associate with living in Australia for a year.

When I met Andy I started singing again. He had been writing and recording music for a while and, after a nervous start, I joined him.

The song I've chosen to play on here is none of the above. I've chosen the first song I sang to baby Presley. I didn't know many nursery rhymes back then, but I wondered if he would like me to sing to him. He must have only been two or three weeks old and Andy was back at work.

I cradled my new baby and started to sing to him. The words caught in my throat and I started to cry. I sang through the sobs. It hit me that he was mine, I was his mother. I was a mother singing to her child. This made me enormously happy.

This is the song I sang:



So, who wants to join in? If you would like to be tagged for this one please let me know and I'll add you here.

Tag, you're it:









Share/Save/Bookmark

12 comments:

  1. So lovely Sandy! Thanks so much for MckLinky-ing to me!
    I love the song Daydream Believer as well!

    :) Karin

    ReplyDelete
  2. Love that song. I have a song in mind, so would love a tag!

    ReplyDelete
  3. We have that song on in the car a lot. The boys adore it. Great choice to have for Presleys first song! Thanks for doing the meme. x

    ReplyDelete
  4. What a lovley song, you had me in tear too

    ReplyDelete
  5. What a great song - singing to your baby is one of the best things, and the fact that later on they'll automatically relax when you sing that song to them because its embedded in their happy thoughts

    ReplyDelete
  6. Me and my nana always used to sing that together. Lovely song!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I love McAlmont and Butler's 'Yes' it's one of those tunes that not many people think of these days but it's a bit of an 'anthem'!!! I've always had a soundtrack to my life, music has always been a big passion of mine! I think I might like a tag too!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Fab song, it really reminds me of my parents as they used to do a funny walk together when I was a kid to the Monkees theme tune. Yep, go on tag me please. I am getting brave nowadays and blogging more. Mich x

    ReplyDelete
  9. I love "Daydream Believer" as well - great song choice!

    And "Yes" is also one of those incredibly uplifting songs when you're having a bad day (and now I'm off to iTunes!!)

    ReplyDelete
  10. Karin, No worries, glad I saw a tweet about your post!

    Geekymummy, consider your self tagged :-)

    Fraught Mummy, it's such a jolly song. I enjoyed that meme - great idea x

    The Mad House, becoming a parent can be pretty overwhelming at times.

    Muddling Along, oh that's lovely, I hadn't thought of it like that :-)

    ReplyDelete
  11. Kelly, ah, lovely :-)

    Karen, I never get tired of listening to 'Yes'. I have tagged you now :-)

    Mich, we tried to do the Monkees' walk when I was at school, we couldn't manage more than a few steps without falling over! I've tagged you :-)

    WADs, oh yes :-)

    Bronagh, I try to be upbeat, music definitely helps :-)

    ReplyDelete

Blog Widget by LinkWithin