14 November 2011

My Top 5 Books of 2011



These are my top 5 6 books of 2011, in no particular order.

The Lacuna - Barbara Kingsolver
This book is so beautifully written that I feel illiterate by comparison. I felt bereft when it ended.

Cold Light - Jenn Ashworth
A wonderfully chilling story. A bleak, but stunningly written, slice of awkward teenage life. I still feel unsettled by it.

How To Be A Woman - Caitlin Moran
I haven't finished this yet, but it easily makes it into my Top 5. Guffaw out loud funny, but also wise and makes you go RAWR in agreement.

If Morning Ever Comes - Anne Tyler
I love it when I discover a book by the mighty Anne Tyler that I haven't read before. She is my favourite author. I also read The Clock Winder and Noah's Compass this year, both fantastic. Her characters are so full and engaging you get drawn into their lives, even though they are all quirky and all live in Baltimore.

The Starting School Survival Guide - Sarah Ebner
This is an invaluable guide, especially if you are pretty clueless about schools these days. When I were a lad you went to the local primary. How times have changed.

The Hand That First Held Mine - Maggie O'Farrell (Not pictured)
As I was writing this post I remembered this amazing book. It wasn't in my 'have read' pile, I must have given it to someone. This book made me gasp out loud, twice. Fabulous.

What are your top books of 2011?

Any recommendations for me?

I can't let my 'to read' pile dwindle to single figures, I get jittery.


.
Share/Save/Bookmark

9 comments:

  1. How about Before I Go To Sleep by SJ Watson. It's such a clever story and I never saw the end coming!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I feel so honoured to be in your top 5. Thank you so much. I also loved The Hand that First Held Mine and also The Help. And I thought All Other Nights by Dara Horn was fabulous.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Anything by Jodi Picoult is usually a good bet. Or Stephen King. Yes, my tastes are varied.

    Thanks for the recommendations, because my To Read pile is empty - and yes, that makes me jittery too.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Good suggestions for my new kindle. I read the Lacuna recently and also loved it. I'm currently reading the Tiger's Wife by Téa Obreht which I must admit I am hating big style, still it's something to do during the night feeds.

    I have just recently read The Help and Room which are both great books.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Glowstars, I'd dismissed that as it sounded like the plot from '50 First Dates'! I'll give it a go, thanks :-)

    Sarah, my pleasure. Thanks for the Dara Horn recommendation.

    Gigi, I've read a few by those two, thanks for the reminder.

    VBinC, I enjoyed Room while I was reading it, but I think that by using the boy as the narrator all the way through there is something lacking. I've seen a few people mention The Help, thanks.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I know what you mean about Caitlin Moran's book and laughing out loud! I'm off to find myself a copy of The Lacuna - Kingsolver's Poisonwood Bible would be on my all-time favourites list.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I will be reading the starting school guide as my son starts in January - cannot wait to have some peace throughout the day until April when my 3rd baby is born! Love the blog..

    ReplyDelete
  8. I don't in any way identify as a feminist but How To Be A Woman completely re-defined the way I think! Such a wonderful book.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Making a note of these - my to read pile has started to get shorter than I like

    ReplyDelete

Blog Widget by LinkWithin