14 November 2011

Knitting



On Friday, after I dropped the boys at Nursery, I went to Hobbycraft for a mooch around. I fancied a crafty hobby. I don't want to spend every evening at the laptop and I can never find anything I want to watch on the box. Lately I've been going to bed very early to read, but that's quite anti-social.

I thought I'd have a go at knitting - as you do - and bought some knitting needles and a cheap ball of wool.

It's a long time since I knat knitted anything. I was trying to remember the last time and I think it's when I was seven or eight years old.

It took me a while to remember how to cast on, but once I figured it out I was away. After thirty-odd years I was knitting again. It was like riding a woolly bike. I'll see how far I get with my scarf. If I lose interest it may turn into a teddy blanket. I never really had the patience to learn how to follow a pattern and I suspect I  haven't changed.

The main thing I remember knitting when I was a child was string dishcloths. You read correctly. String dishcloths. It was for my knitting badge in the Brownies.

I remember feeling entirely under-whelmed by the Brownies. I was expecting to be a Pixie or a Sprite and go on camping trips. The reality was that I was a Gnome. A GNOME - the shame! The closest I got to the great outdoors was cleaning Mrs Simpson's front step for the housework badge.

Two exciting things happened when I was in the Brownies. Firstly, a dog came into the church hall one day and weed on the floor. Secondly, a few weeks later, I weed on the floor. We were doing prayers at the end and I didn't think I was allowed to go to the loo at that point. Let's face it though, a precedent had been set.

I stuck it out until my Brownie uniform, once a dress that fell below the knees, was so short it was almost indecent.


This is my post for The Gallery.
The theme this week was to take a photograph on 11.11.11.

.
Share/Save/Bookmark

11 comments:

  1. I've never been able to knit beyond scarves that start narrow and end up wide - there's a lady who lives near me, who knits everything. All her clothes, skirts, tops, cardi's, jackets, socks all knitted - could that be you by spring?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh well done you. It is addictive you know, so satisfying. Let me know if you need any help with it

    ReplyDelete
  3. What a great picture. I wish I could knit. Looks great. x

    ReplyDelete
  4. I think I must have been one of the last brownies to have one of those lovely dresses too - those were the days... Guides just wasn't the same...x

    ReplyDelete
  5. You must have read my mind, I'm off to find a pattern for cardis for the girls tomorrow as I too want to take up knitting again, I knitted loads for my first two so it's time to give it another go.
    Dishcloths indeed! You couldn't really go wrong could you?

    ReplyDelete
  6. Oooh there's a Hobbycraft in Milton Keynes? This sounds promising

    Have some great quick patterns I can lend you if you fancy

    ReplyDelete
  7. I think once you've done something it's definitely like riding a bike when you've been away from it for awhile. My sister used to crochet all the time when she was younger but I could never get the hang of it!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Good idea for winter. Such a cosy thing to do.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Gemma, unlikely! My FIL had to share a knitted bathing costume with his 3 sisters in the 30's!

    Mummy Limited, thank you, I will :-)

    Susan, thank you, I can only really do the easy stuff! :-)

    Lunchboxworld, yes, they don't have to wear short dresses any more!!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Mari, my MIL knitted loads of cardi's for the boys when they were babies. Perhaps I'll try to knit them some now :-)

    Muddling, oh yes, to the North of the station, near B&Q. Let me know if you're planning a visit.

    Laura, I bought a crochet hook too, but can't remember how to start!

    Here come the girls, absolutely :-)

    ReplyDelete
  11. Oh how I wish I could knit - I could when I was younger so perhaps I should try again & see if it comes flooding back to me.

    As for Gnomes - what is wrong with Gnomes, I was a Gnome!!!

    ReplyDelete

Blog Widget by LinkWithin