24 September 2014

Recipe: Slimming World Rice Pudding




Sometimes you just need a big bowl of the warm creamy comfort food that is rice pudding.

When you're trying to eat healthily and lose weight, you would think that rice pudding would be off the menu. Think again. If you make it yourself, from scratch, you can make it without sugar or even milk.

There is one rice pudding recipe doing the rounds at Slimming World where you cook pudding rice in diet cream soda to make a rice pudding. This used to be free on Slimming World, but it is now considered a "tweak".

There are lots of tweaks in Slimming World. People tweak the plan by combining free foods to make other foods. Eventually Slimming World catch on and allocate syn values to these foods (you can have between 5 and 15 Syns per day). Fair enough. You're only kidding yourself if you think you can lose weight if you eat your own body weight in - for instance - cooked lasagne sheets (free), coated in spray oil (also free) and baked in the oven. They're kind of like Doritos, but they're not a filling healthy meal. Tweaks are essentially free foods, but you're not eating them as intended, so they are given a Syn value. Pudding rice is a free food, but rice pudding (made with milk or diet drinks) is not.

I've made the cream soda rice pudding and it's okay. One day I realised I didn't have enough cream soda to make it, so I improvised and came up with a new method that is just as delicious and - most importantly - SYN FREE*.

*The small print. My recipe could be considered a tweak (although after a Google search I can't find an official statement by Slimming World about it), UNLESS you make it part of a food-optimised meal, i.e. one third of the meal is Super-Free. I'm yawning just typing this. In a nutshell - I think - if you have a plenty of veg on your plate for your dinner you can have this as a pudding if you serve it with fruit. Whatever. You don't really care about all that, you just want me to tell you how to make my rice pudding.


Sandy's Recipe for Slimming World Rice Pudding

Serves 4
Takes 20-30 minutes

Ingredients

  • 6oz Pudding Rice (usually found in the baking aisle of the supermarket)
  • 1 litre cold water
  • Artificial Sweetener (to taste)
  • Flavourings (we'll come to that later)

Method

  1. Put the rice, water and sweetener in a large saucepan and stir
  2. Bring to the boil
  3. Cook for 20-25 minutes
  4. Stir occasionally, gradually reducing the heat down to a gentle simmer 
  5. The rice pudding is ready when almost all of the liquid is absorbed by the rice
  6. You can serve it warm or cold

Flavourings

This is where you can be a little creative.

I sometimes add a few drops of custard, banana or buttery caramel flavouring to my rice pudding. I love Lakeland Natural Flavours (usually £3.99, but currently on offer - buy one, get one half price). I was just getting the link for you when I saw two new flavours: mulled wine and Christmas pudding. Oh my.

Lakeland Natural Flavours also work well mixed into that other Slimming World favourite, Quark.

If you like cinnamon in your rice pudding, add cinnamon. I can't think of anything more revolting, but it's your rice pudding.


I also like to stir through a teaspoon  - who am I kidding? -  a tablespoon of jam (2 Syns). Just like school dinners in the 1970's.

My other favourite is to add a heaped teaspoon of Options Belgian Chocolate powder to the cooked rice pudding while it's still in the pan (2 Syns-ish, that makes it approximately 1/2 a Syn per bowl).



Syn Free (probably) Slimming World Rice Pudding.

You're welcome.




.
Share/Save/Bookmark

8 comments:

  1. Yum yum, thank you for the fab recipe

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm going to have to make rice pudding today now.I have made it with coconut milk before but never chocolate.

    ReplyDelete
  3. oooh this is a big help as I am tryign to make a SW version myself Sandy x
    ps, i did not know about the lasagna sheets!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. @Jenny, just Google 'Slimming World tweaks' and you'll find them all :)

      Delete
  4. Sounds tasty. Did you ever try to cook with agave syrup? Natural sweetener - much tastier and healthier than the chemical stuff xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. @Met Mum, I've never tried it, but I'll check it out. I suspect it will not be Slimming World friendly though... x

      Delete

Blog Widget by LinkWithin