24 July 2009

Winning Friends and Influencing Little People


I took the boys to Baby Bounce and Rhyme at our local library this morning. The (baby)world and its mother was there too. I suppose some of the other mothers felt like me - desperate to get out of the house! There was no playgroup this week and it has rained a lot too. The place was packed.

I felt quite sorry for the elderly gent who asked if it was like this every Friday. I know I won't see him again, at least not on a Friday!

I went in with Presley and grabbed a chair. Cash was asleep in the pushchair. He woke up screaming later on and I didn't hear him straight away what with the singing and instrument playing and all. I feel bad about that, poor little teary eyed fella. Sorry Cash.

I recognised quite a few faces, and it suddenly struck me, I know people! We've lived in Lancashire for twenty months now and if you had asked me last month I would have said that I hadn't made any friends. Looking around the circle I was able to say hello to at least a dozen other mums. I had chatted easily with the mums sitting near me. I spoke to Harrison's Gran, I know her from playgroup.

If that wasn't enough, the boys' eighteen month old cousin Rose was there with her aunty Dee. I've met Dee a couple of times so we had a chat. Rose comes to play at our house two mornings a week. I found it odd though that Presley and Rose didn't acknowledge each other. I suppose they were out of context!

I know people.

This feels good. They're not big friends yet, but they are familiar faces. This is a start.

***

This afternoon Presley and Cash were chasing each other round the kitchen floor. They stopped at one point, they were sat opposite each other. Presley took Cash's hands, rocked backwards and forwards and started singing 'Row, Row, Row'.

This is quite a revelation. Presley has never done this with me at playgroup or the library, but I know he's seen it. I couldn't believe my eyes! I sang four verses for them. I almost couldn't sing for laughing. Children are like little sponges, soaking up everything they see and hear.

Share/Save/Bookmark

10 comments:

  1. My littlest one amazes me constantly too at how much she picks up, I should know this from the others but enjoy this exciting time when they show off their new tricks. I love it so much. Aren't we lucky. :0)

    ReplyDelete
  2. That's so sweet! :D

    And I know what you mean about the 'knowing people' - I'm getting there too, slowly but surely, which is nice :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. So glad you're settling in.

    ReplyDelete
  4. What a lovely post. My kids loved row your boat when they were little. Am pleased for you that you are making friends, it is always hard when you move.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Love the photo of your little guys. They look adorable. And how great that they're starting to play with each other. That makes your life SOOOooo much easier. Lovely that they're starting to follow in their Mummy's footsteps too and make music...

    ReplyDelete
  6. It's nice when all of a sudden you know some people. We have only been here three years, and it wa only this last year that I really knew some people. It's a good feeling. I'm sure you'll make friends next.

    ReplyDelete
  7. How cute that Presley and Cash sang together! BTW I love those names! xx

    ReplyDelete
  8. Familiar faces is how it starts. Then a little conversation. Then one of you suggests a coffee. I've made more friends in the last five years in Manchester (since having daughter) than I did in the 11 years living here before her arrival!

    Isn't it funny how you NEVER meet anyone in your real life who blogs though?

    ReplyDelete
  9. It's a great start. You're the new face and they most probably want to get to know you and make friends just as much as you do yourself with them.

    CJ xx

    ReplyDelete
  10. Chic Mama, we are lucky, there's something new every day :-)

    Leslieanne, I'm glad you're getting to know people too. Babies are a great ice-breaker!

    Jen, thanks :-)

    b, thanks :-) it was the sweetest moment and they've done it again since.

    Mamma Po, I think they're cute too :-) Yes, playing together will make it easier for me. I hadn't thought about the musical ability gene, let's hope they have it!

    Mwa, it's nice to hear that, it gives me hope! Hopefully I will make some friends soon :-)

    Clare, thanks, although I don't think Cash had any choice!

    Working Mum, that's lovely to know. Perhaps I should ask one of the mums if they want to go for coffee. I'll let you know if I meet another blogger!

    CJ, wise words, I'm sure I'm not the only mum new to the area :-)

    ReplyDelete

Blog Widget by LinkWithin