4 December 2013

Saving Money on your Energy Bills with Hive

This is a sponsored post, but I've enjoyed researching it and I think Hive looks like an exciting and worthwhile project.



You know when you're buying a new car, you see that car everywhere? It's the same with Hive. I was asked to take a look at it and now I see it everywhere. I even had  a letter about it today.

What is Hive?

Hive is a new way to control your hot water and heating remotely. If you're away from home, you can use an app on your smartphone to tell your heating to cool it for a while. You'll never have to heat an empty house again. Coming home? Simply use the app to crank up the heating before you get there and by the time you get home - bingo - lovely warm house. Similarly, if you're out walking and would love a long hot soak in the bath, simply turn on your hot water remotely so that there's a tank waiting for you as soon as you get home (and have drunk your hot chocolate).

I love the sound of this. Our heating and hot water are currently both run off a timer and a thermostat. This is actually quite inefficient. I wonder how much we would save on our family hot water and central heating bills if we managed them better? Hive claim that an average family could save £150 per year on their heating bills. What could you do with an extra £150 per year?

How does Hive work?

Hive offer a professional installation by one of their engineers that takes around an hour. Hive runs off your existing heating system. There are three main parts in Hive Active Heating: the wireless receiver, thermostat and hub. The hub plugs into your broadband router so that your thermostat can be connected to the internet allowing you to operate it from your online dashboard

How much does Hive cost?

You can buy Hive today for £199. This investment would pay for itself pretty quickly.

I'm tempted to give it a go. I hate waste and I dislike paying my energy bills, so I'd happily kill two birds with one stone.



Share/Save/Bookmark

No comments:

Post a Comment

Blog Widget by LinkWithin